Biogas and Bio Energy
NEW AND RENEEWABLE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION OF AP LTD. HYDERRABAD
NREDCAP is a State Nodal Agency (SNA) with the financial support from Ministry of
New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), GoI, New Delhi implementing the following Schemes
/ Programmes under Renewable Energy Sector for the benefit of rural public in the
state of Andhra Pradesh.
- 1 National Biogas and Manure Management Programme
- 2 Biogas Based Power (off-grid) Programme.
- 3 Improved Chulhas Programme.
The Programme / scheme wise concept, procedures,/implementation strategy and financial
support either from Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India
or Government of Andhra Pradesh are given below along with achievement so far made
and targets for the year 2016-17.
1. National Biogas & Manure Management Programme (NBMMP)
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Govt. of India, New Delhi is providing
financial assistance since 1982.83 to the family type Biogas plants under National
Biogas & Manure Management Programme (NBMMP). NREDCAP is the Nodal agency for Andhra
Pradesh State has started implementing the construction of family size Biogas plants
to farmers who have cattle since 1982.
NREDCAP has installed / constructed around 2.74746 lakh Biogas plants up to 2015.16
in the State as against the estimated potential of 6.30 lakhs Biogas plants. During
the year 2016.17, MNRE has allotted a target of 10,200 Biogas Plants and the achievement
made 3537 Biogas plants up to 31.10.2016. The District wise targets & achievements
may be seen in the achievements from 1983-84 to 2015-16.
1) To provide clean and non-polluting energy to meet the cooking needs of the rural
people and to reduce the usage of LPG and other conventional fuels.
2) To provide bio- fertilizer / organic manure to reduce the usage of chemical fertilizers.
3) To eliminate smoke from kitchen and to prevent eye, lung diseases to rural women
4) To mitigate drudgery of rural women, reduce pressure on forest and accentuate
5) To improve sanitation in villages.
6) To mitigate climate change by preventing black carbon and methane emissions (Biogas
contains 55-65% methane).
1. The Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE), Govt of India has been allotting
the year wise targets to the State Nodal Agency.
2. Basing on the potentiality the allotted targets will be redistributed to all
3. NREDCAP is implementing the programme in all the Districts through its branch
offices by utilizing the services of Biogas Development Agencies/Self Employed Workers
(BDA/ SEWs) by adopting the “Cluster Village approach concept”.
4. NREDCAP is giving training to the rural masons in construction of the Biogas
Plants and utilizing their services in implementation of this National Programme.
5. The field staff of NREDCAP are involved from identification of beneficiaries
to construction and commissioning of the plants. After commissioning, the eligible
subsidy amounts will be released.
Unit cost & Subsidy:-
The present unit cost and eligible subsidy for family size Biogas Plants are given
Size of the Deenabandhu Biogas Plant
Revised Unit Cost (Rs.)
Amount of Revised Central subsidy per plant (Rs)
SC / ST
2. Biogas Based Power (off-grid) Programme.
Biogas technology provides alternative source of energy mainly from organic wastes.
It is produced when bacteria degrade organic matter in the absence of air. Biogas
contains around 55-65% of methane, 30-40% of carbon dioxide and small quantities
of hydrogen, Nitrogen, Carbon monoxide, Oxygen and Hydrogensulphide. The calorific
value of biogas is appreciably high around 4700 kcal or 20 MJ; at around 55% methane
The Biogas can effectively be utilized for generation of power through a biogas
based power-generation system after dewatering and cleaning of the gas. In addition,
the slurry produced in the process provides organic manure for farming with high
The Biogas power plant consist of Biogas plant, gas cleaning system, 100% Biogas
Engine with alternator, Control panel etc. The biogas produced from the biogas plant
having Hydrogen sulphide gas which is very harmful to the Engine, which has to be
removed through the gas cleaning system.
The Biogas of 1 cum will generate 1.5 KWh from every 1 KW rated capacity of Biogas
Engine. Bio manure management is an integral part of a biogas based power generation
system for arriving at an economically feasible operation level. NREDCAP has commissioned
Eleven Biogas based power generation projects consisting of 283KW capacity with
2,140 cum Biogas under MNRE Programme in A.P so far and for further details may
be seen in the enclosed Annexure-I and there is a good demand for these projects.
3. Improved Chulhas Programme.
The Improved Chulhas Programme is being implemented by “NREDCAP” since 1983-84 with
the financial Assistance from Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Govt.
of India till 2002-03.
The Government of India has transferred this Scheme / programme to the State Government
from the year 2003-04 under State Plan Scheme. The rural women are getting several
benefits with these Improved Chulhas Programme.
1) To eliminate smoke from the kitchen and improves health condition of Women and
Children in rural areas.
2) To upgrade rural environment and check on the deforestation
3) To generate rural employment for rural women & potter communities.
1. Respiratory and eye diseases are caused due to continuous exposure to smoke in
the kitchen. The improved cook stoves generate small amount of smoke in the kitchen
making the environment in the kitchen clean.
2. An improved wood burning cook stove is around three times more efficient than
a traditional wood burning stove. The thermal efficiency of traditional cook stove
is 9% and that of an improved cook stove is about 26%.
3. Create employment for Rural Women and self employed workers and potters in making
TNAU model cook stoves.
Technical/ Fuel Savings:
The improved wood burning stoves are mainly classified as fixed and portable. The
fixed chulha constructed in situ in the kitchen. The metal portable chulhas are
fabricated in a work shop or by a rural artizon (Kummari).
The earthen portable chulhas are made by local skilled potters who have been imparted
Training on Tamilnadu Agricultural university (TNAU) model Earthen Portable Chulha.
A portable chulha reduces the smoke by improving combustion through a grate and
closed chamber. Each improved chulha of Earthen made TNAU Model can save 132 kgs
of fire wood per annum in addition to the indirect benefits like reduce indoor pollution
NREDCAP has installed / Distributed around 21.3826 lakh Chulhas up to 2015.16 in
the State as against the estimated potential of 50.00 lakhs Chulhas. During the
year 2016.17, it was proposed to take up 1.00 Lakh Chulhas under State Plan budget.
The District wise achievements may be seen in the enclosed Annexure-II from 2010-11